Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Re-Do-Over

So...do you guys remember this mess?




This happens to be the main reason my garbing has been on hold.  I was part way in on a garbset made with chiffon when the thing frayed apart.  (I even checked the pattern and it suggests using chiffon!).  I've been itching to get back to it, but have been reconsidering fabrics.  My garbing experience is minimal, so trying again with a fabric that is easier to work with seems like a smarter and more productive idea than attempting to plow through this mess.

So...I poked around for a bit ( here, here and here among other places ) to look for suggestions for beginners on fabric selection. 

The general consensus is that the top three for beginners are:

  • Cotton
  • Linen
  • Wool
 
Happy circumstance that these are the three most commonly used fibers during the Medieval era (along with some silk thrown in for the elite).  I guess this settles my personal debate over authentic vs. modern materials.  Sometime soon (Sat?) I will be picking up some black cotton gauze.

It has also not escaped my attention that these are three of the six craftable textiles in GW2.  My husband hopes I'm joking when I tell him I am planning to make something wearable out of jute.  :)

~Ravenna

No comments:

Post a Comment